Monday, March 05, 2007

Undgomshuset in Copenhagen


Normally I get quite excited by political events and I have a very strong opinion on them. But with ungdomshuset I find it very complicated to give a good answer on what would be a good solution. In this case my opinion is so much stronger on the people who comments on this situation. What we have in the case of ungdomshuset is in many ways one of the central problems of democracy, If you want to keep democracy you have to accept the opinions of those who oppose it. In the case of Ungdomshuset you have a very interresting institution that gave the youth in Copenhagen a place to express themselves and their opinions, and in a Denmark that have many conservative institutions integrated into society this is a healthy vent for young people that are exploring their opinions and values. Because of this function, many of those who frequented Ungdomshuset perceived the sale of it as a treachery from the Copenhagen municipality. What made the situation worse was that those who bought it was on of the many sects that flourish in Copenhagen. The sect bought ungdomshuset fair and square, but everyone knew that they planned to use it for recruitment. The equation seems quite simple, here we have something that is good that the big man is turning into something bad, hence we must fight the big man for what is good. The key here is what ungdomshuset symbolizes, and at the same time Christiania is being closed down. And this is happening while extreme consumerism is actually threatening the danish national economy. I think that even though many in sweden think Denmark and Sweden are very alike it is not possible to view the danish situation from a Swedish perspective.

And here I must must make a strong statement on those who live in sweden and voice their opinions on the situation in Copenhagen is that I agree with their right to say their mind but i disagree with the notion that they have any idea what they are talking about.

2 comments:

Bubblan said...

Every once in a while I open my mouth or use my fingers to let people know what I think about things. In many cases I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, there are times when I don't have any idea what I'm talking about. But, I know one thing for a fact, violence speaks the same language all over the world.

So regarding what's happened/happening in Copenhagen, I'm sure that it would be great for all the youth in Copenhagen if they would'n close down "Ungdomshuset". But is the closing of "Ungdomshuset" really an argument for using violence?

Bubblan said...

"... if they would'n ..."

if they wouldn't :)