Friday, March 23, 2007

Watching washing

I find washing machines strangely fascinating. They have this quality of doing the job while you are free to do something else and at the same time giving you the impression that it actually is you that have done a chore. And if you stay with the machines as they go about their job it's almost like watching really boring tv. A lot of people have other kinds of associations with washing machines, some think of exciting sex, some think of chance meetings with new relationships, some think of the mobilephone that they forgot in their trousers. I myself for instance have for some reason a lot of memories all relating to money. (A joke about money laundering would be appropriate here). But I also like the stress-free enviroment, the machines are taking their time, and you can't really do anything about it. At the same time you sometimes have to sit and wait so that nobody takes the machine between your washes. Especially since the machines tend to underestimate the time it takes to complete their assignment. I usually make sure that I have a good cup of coffee and bring a suitably philosophical text with me. And then I just relax. Sometimes another patron enters the laundry room to evaluate the prospects of nicking a machine. in those instances you just meet their eyes, tilt your a bit and smile warmly. (if you want to overdo it you can always raise your eyebrows slightly, as if asking what warrants the pleasure of his or her visit in your simple abode).

Although tonight I made a misstake of catastrophic consequences; I thought that the tumble drier would be operational after 23.30 but alas, I was wrong. Hence I will be forced to sleep like an animal without bedding. (The pain!)

Well, whatever. It's not like it's the first time.


Btw. Note that I hide behind the tumbledrier. This is due to the extreme spinning of the machine when doing some serious centrifuge action. It always scares the living daylights out of me.

No comments: